New Covid-19 'traffic light' protocols released
The new COVID-19 Protection Framework (Traffic Light) Protocols are now available for preview on the CHASNZ website.
The new Traffic Light protocols replace the current Residential, Vertical and Horizontal COVID-19 protocols from Friday 3 December.
A construction industry advisory group has revised the previous COVID-19 Alert Level System construction protocols in response to the government's recently announced COVID-19 Protection Framework – also known as Traffic Light system.
The protocols will support the vaccination assessment tool announced by the government this week.
Key features of the new Traffic Light Protocols include:
- Simpler layout showing the protocols appropriate for each Traffic Light colour
- Links to key resources which can be printed out as posters
- Guidance on how to assist workers’ mental health at work or while isolating
- Guidance on risk assessment for whether work needs to be carried out by a fully vaccinated worker
- Guidance on controls to mitigate risk when vaccinations are not required based on risk assessment
- Guidance on what to do when COVID-19 presents on your construction site.
The protocols are to be treated as working documents which will evolve as requirements change.
Further resources and assistance will be available in coming weeks that cover practical uses of the protocols.
Further government advice on how risk assessments should be used will follow as well as information on the Traffic Light colour for each region.
The existing Alert Level System protocols will remain available on the CHASNZ website in case of any future regional or national Alert level 4 or 3 conditions.
The Construction Sector Accord gratefully acknowledges the leadership and direction provided by CHASNZ Chief Executive Chris Alderson, and the time and knowledge provided by many to develop these protocols, including:
- Adam Still - SiteSafe
- Ian Barrett, Carla Tonks - Fletcher Construction
- Barry Bignell - Downer NZ
- Stuart Chapman - Hawkins
- Stacy Goldsworthy - Civil Contractors NZ
- Aidan Jury - Jennian Homes
- David Kelly, Catherine Richards, Sara Walker - Registered Master Builders
- Pete Lockhart - Naylor Love
- Victoria McArthur - Mates in Construction
- Rob Mair - City Rail Link
- Jo Prigmore - Fulton Hogan
- Sam Rapson - Fletcher Living
- Nigel Smith - Milestone Homes
New guidance on business operation under the COVID-19 Protection Framework
MBIE's sector guidance to support business operation under the COVID-19 Protection Framework (or traffic light system) is now available.
Workers carrying out building and construction work at early childhood, primary and secondary educational facilities, prisons and hospitals, are required by the government to be fully vaccinated.
For other building and construction workers, employers will need to carry out an assessment to decide whether work needs to be performed by a vaccinated worker.
COVID-19 Protection Framework(external link) - business.govt.nz
The guidance explains when red, orange and green levels of the COVID-19 Protection Framework will be used. It provides detailed guidance on what each level of the Framework means for your business or service, by activity.
The guidance is interim and will be updated once the COVID-19 Protection Framework Order is issued.